Monday, April 03, 2006

Progress with the book, John-Paul II

First things first. The book is basically finished, but around 10-15,000 words short. Not an insurmountable task. As of today, I have revised chapters 1 and 2, and was horrified to see that chapter 3 was a meandering series of points of frightening shapelessness. Amazing what an absence from the scene of a few months can do to engender insight.

I have to believe in the law of diminishing awfulness, otherwise I would never dare submit. At least this was one of the under-revised chapters. Still, there are three or four coming up which are similarly under-visited, and my recollections of parental pride are tinged with some subconscious reservations. On the brighter side, fixing the flaws is an opportunity to write, and therefore address the magic 15k.

"Having therefore such a hope, we use great boldness of speech" (2 Corinthians 3:12).

A biblical segue to Clare's wish that I write something insightful about the Catholic Church's fast-track to sainthood for JP II.

I did tax her in some detail about the conceptual foundation and ontological status of sainthood, and its role in client-patron brokerage in heaven. I have to say that I did not get an altogether authoritative response, but I understand that she feels the process is a trifle rushed. I would concur for values of rushed which tend to infinity.