Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Job advice

A colleague ("Jo") from a recent consultancy assignment wrote me an email. She's received a job offer from a competing organisation - should she go or should she stay?

---

Hi Jo,

What a dilemma! I can't tell you what to do, of course. Just indicate some of the things you should think about.

1. Which is the most pleasant working environment, best management, etc?
2. Which is the most interesting work?
3. Is there the ability to develop a career, wages etc in the future?
4. How easy is the driving to/from work - the commute?
5. What does your family think?

After you have thought about this, if you are still unsure, you should throw a coin. I am serious!

You should say: "Heads I go, Tails I stay" and throw the coin. Then, when you see the result - a decision has been made. Now you have to listen to your heart. Do you agree with the coin? If not, then you have, in your heart, already made the decision the other way. You can over-rule the coin!

Let me know what you decide and the best of luck!

Nigel.