Monday, July 20, 2009

Exercise (redux)

I decided to start running again.

Last time I used to run just a couple of miles two or three times a week. I surely felt better for it overall, although my performance soon plateaued. However, I had persistent pains in my hips and knees which never seemed to get any better, so eventually I stopped (February 2006).

Perhaps it was a perception of my general flabbiness, perhaps it was the sight of Lance Armstrong, still - at 37 - battling the alpine slopes. Anyway, I have resolved to take things a little more easy, not push it so much, to care for my joints. And not rush to do too much too soon.

I said to Clare just before I left, about half an hour ago: "If I should die, think only this of me ... it was a big mistake." Anyway, I took it easy and returned unscathed.

We shall see.