Monday, May 30, 2011

Goodbye Orange ...

For months now I have been eagerly anticipating getting an Internet-enabled 3G smartphone. I've had good service from my Sony-Ericsson K750i but it's time to move on.

As my 18 month contract with Orange terminates in exactly one month today, I took the opportunity to cancel. I'm going to move to Vodafone as they have a better 2G network (900 MHz rather than Orange's 1,800 MHz - the lower frequency propagates farther and penetrates buildings better) and a more extensive build-out of phone masts for both 2G and 3G. I believe European roaming is probably cheaper and easier as well.

I had visions of endless problems cancelling the service: interrogations from someone at their call-centre paid to retain me, failure to actually do as I asked leading to endless charging in the future until I cancelled my direct debit at which point they would sue me for non-payment ...

In actuality it has so far gone well. I said that my reasons for moving supplier were private, and this was accepted. I have now got my PAC code by text, to transfer my mobile phone number, and I will be down to the local Vodafone shop tomorrow with a full list of requirements.